The Advisor role is central to the success of the firm. It is a post-graduate degree position into our business for people who have a passion for the field of family enterprise advisory services. We utilize an apprenticeship model, with Advisors learning our methodologies and processes and being given an increasing level of responsibility as their skills develop.
Advisors are expected to assist in the firm’s efforts to provide advisory services to help family businesses address issues in business strategy, family governance, and ownership. Our Advisors work closely with the Partners and other members of the firm in the design and delivery of client engagements.
Major responsibilities and duties include:
- Writing high-impact proposals, assessment reports, presentations, and plans
- Assisting in the preparation of the agenda and materials for client meetings
- Delivering client presentations under guidance from senior members of the firm, assisting with the facilitation of client meetings, and working with clients to implement recommendations
- Keeping and producing client meeting notes
- Conducting client interviews for assessment purposes
- Managing projects to ensure they are on-time, on-scope, and on-budget
- Performing quantitative and qualitative analysis on core family, business, and ownership issues for clients
- Generating creative, action-oriented insights and recommendations
- Contributing to Banyan Family Business Advisors’ knowledge capture and dissemination
- Taking on significant internal roles to build and support key firm activities (e.g., business development, research projects, recruiting)
Professional growth at Banyan Family Business Advisors is driven by performance. We believe in recognizing and rewarding outstanding performers with a strong growth trajectory within the firm.
Our work is confidential and sensitive, and also interesting, challenging, and rewarding. Advisors are in contact with family members who are often senior executives in the client family owned and controlled companies. There is also contact with top non-family executives in the client companies.
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Graduate degree from a leading institution (e.g. MBA, MPP, PhD, JD, etc.)
- At least two years of consulting experience with a leading professional services firm, including process and project management
- Significant interest in working with families in business and family enterprises; experience working with family businesses is a plus
- Track record of high achievement in academic and professional environments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of emotional intelligence, including self-awareness, ability to manage conflict, and ability to empathize but stay neutral in client relationships
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills; demonstrated ability to effectively use data of different types to drive insights
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build client relationships
- Solid professional values with a mature, professional, and polished demeanor
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, showing initiative and flexibility to accommodate changes
- Superior organization and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently and to arrange schedule and priorities to meet deadlines
- Expertise with technology and Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint
- Fluency in a second language, particularly Spanish and Portuguese, very strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally roughly one week per month
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. He or she may be requested to follow other instructions and to perform other duties requested by his or her supervisor, related to the work of the office.