We pride ourselves on having built an advisory firm that is truly authentic, compassionate, and enables a genuine work-life balance. Having experienced life in larger consulting firms, we understand the challenges of typical consulting models and we look to address those.
- We strongly encourage a healthy work-life balance and support young families; our travel model is more limited than standard consulting models.
- Typically, our advisors work with multiple clients at once rather than continuous months with one client at the client site.
- We are a diverse, multidisciplinary team of authentic, empathic, and compassionate people who value high emotional intelligence.
- People build their careers with us – our average tenure is long.
- We’re an ambitious business experiencing strong international growth.
More About Us
Business families around the world seek Banyan’s services to help them preserve the jewel of their portfolios – be it an operating business, a family office, or a family foundation – and to maintain harmony across their family. Half of our clientele is located in North America. The rest are located in South America, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. We build long-lasting, trusted relationships with our clients, advising them on everything from business strategy, portfolio allocation, governance design, to succession planning.
Our firm is world-class at helping owners manage generational transitions. Our people have authored ground-breaking books such as Generation to Generation, Competing Against Time, Hardball, and the soon-to-be released Family Business Handbook published by Harvard Business Review. We regularly write for, and are quoted, in major media, including the Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times, and are sought-after industry experts at conferences and events.
About the Role
The Principal role is central to the success of Banyan. Our Principals are deeply engaged with our clients, a role requiring a combination of exceptional emotional intelligence, discretion, neutrality, and confidentiality.
Our business is a senior, eye-to-eye model, where all members of our advisory team interact directly with senior generation and next generation owners. Each client-facing team consists of one Partner and one Principal, who act as the core team, bringing in other members of the firm on an as needed basis. This intimate model allows our advisory team the opportunity to both learn from the expertise of our partners and to build trusted relationships with some of the most influential business owners around the world.
As a Principal, you will lead workstreams across multiple clients and be responsible for holding our client team together. You will be the day-to-day manager of the client engagement, working with partners and other team members to recommend custom solutions for our clients that will enable their family business to transition and thrive.
What You’ll Do
- Build trusted relationships with clients
- Lead workstreams in client engagements
- Manage projects to ensure they are on-time, on-scope, and on-budget
- Deliver client presentations, facilitate client meetings, and help clients implement recommendations
- Structure, perform, and oversee quantitative and qualitative analysis on core family, business, and ownership issues for clients
- Provide support and direction to project teams
- Write high-impact proposals, assessment reports, presentations, and workplans
- Generate creative, action-oriented insights and recommendations
- Contribute to Banyan’s knowledge capture and dissemination
- Take on internal roles to build and support key firm activities (e.g., business development, research projects)
What You’ll Bring
Our work is challenging, rewarding and also confidential and sensitive. Principals are in contact with family members who are often senior executives in the client family-owned and -controlled companies. Principals also interact with top non-family executives in the client companies.
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Graduate degree from a leading institution (e.g. MBA, MPP, PhD, JD, etc.)
- At least four years of consulting experience with a leading professional services firm, including process and project management; or equivalent experience
- A track record of high achievement in academic and professional environments
- Superior organization and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently and to arrange schedules and priorities to meet deadlines
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills with a strong financial acumen; demonstrated ability to effectively use data of different types to drive insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong presentation skills; expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build client relationships
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, showing initiative and flexibility to accommodate changes
- Ability to generate leads and approach prospective clients
- High level of emotional intelligence, including self-awareness, ability to manage conflict, and ability to empathize but stay neutral in client relationships
- Ability to show discretion in dealing with sensitive information
- Solid professional values with a mature, professional, and polished demeanor
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Prior working knowledge of family business practice preferred
People Committee and Managing Partner on assigned client projects
Days and Hours
Full-time, 40 hours per week, flexible.
Position is exempt and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
Please send your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in family businesses and the Principal role to firstname.lastname@example.org
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. He or she may be requested to follow other instructions and to perform other duties requested by his or her supervisor, related to the work of the office.